Congratulations! You rock & roll fast. Yes this is for you (all OTH racers). Wonder if it’s time for your to move up to the next class? Of course this is a fun event, but it’s competitive too, so in keeping the playing field fair equal, here’s the guidelines for moving up a class.
*Note: 1st Year Racer Categories were introduced Summer 2023. If you Raced “1st Year Racer” for one or any races you move up to “Novice” for your next Winter or Summer Races (whichever is next).
STEP 1: Ask yourself: “SELF, AM I A BEGINNER?”
Webster definition: be·gin·ner : 1) a person who is beginning something or doing something for the first time : 2) one that begins something; especially : an inexperienced person
STEP 2: IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO MOVE UP A CLASS WHEN:
- You finished on the podium last year (top 3 series finishers are moving up)
- You finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in 2 or more races in your class last year
- Were you consistently in the top 10 of your class or get a top 30% “OTH Winner” Pint glass more time than not
- You’ve seen a marked improvement in your efforts of the off season, or need a rabbit to chase.
- Come on, who are you kidding, it’s a tight, good community….but we still get emails from some of your friends saying “Dumphey is a Sandbagger”. Save us the minutia…please.
- If you’ve ever held a pro USA Cycling license you better be pushing 50 pounds over your previous race weight to roll below “Elite”
STEP 3: OUT OF SHAPE FROM THE LAST TIME YOU RACED?
- Life happens. You don’t need to race Elite, just because you did before your hip replacement (homage to Dave Marrietti and Stompin’ Stu Thompson who have stayed on the bike, along with many others). Mom’s did you have had a baby since last time you raced? No worries, come back for fun and keep your inner child nurtured while you take care of your little one. We know there are lots of injury and life circumstances that affect fitness. Don’t let them stop your Fun-Having on a bike.
- Over the Hump is a community policing race model. No UCI race license or special committee waiting to relegate you to the Doping Relegated and DQ’d groups. Simply pick your class that you believe is most appropriate.
- Your self assessment of your ability is HUGE and if you do awesome the first race back…congrats you outperformed expectations and you can move up the next race and keep half your points.
We appreciate your help keeping OTH fun for everyone. The only way for newcomers to have the same thrill you have, is if they are able to compete at a level that’s appropriate for them. In other words you moving up, helps keep Beginner truly beginner racers and keep Sport truly sport.
For class descriptions and details visit: OTH Class page
If you hear from us, about the data showing you might be in a class below your ability, and you think we’re wrong. That’s perfect, we’d love to hear you out. Just CLICK HERE– to let us know.