90% of OTH Racers say they come for the competition. So it’s our job to keep race classes fair and fun. We take our FUN job seriously.
There’s one guiding principle FUN…and let’s be honest, 1600 racers smiling a year is a nearly impossible task. Since the beginning of time we’ve all been battling over the girl, the turkey leg, and Fred Flinstone’s rock car.
How do we determine you’re in the right class?
It’s a formula. In the past it was very analog but this year we’ve teamed up with RDB Solutions to create a method to help us contain the madness. It’s a big job, but we tasked Ross to program R2D2 to kick out a simple solution to a complex question: Are you in the right class?
It’s Simple Really: Two ways of setting us right from the beginning of this season.
Previous Racers – If you raced the previous season
Beginner | Intermediate | Sport
- Series Top 5 Podium Finishers Promoted to Next Level – Required
- Race 5 & 2 Rule – Completed at least 5 Races and got 3rd or Better in 2 of them – Recommended
- Race 6 & 3 Rule – Completed at least 6 Races and got 3rd or Better in 3 of them – Mandatory
- Series Top 3 Podium Finishers Promoted to Next Level – Required
- Series Top 4th 5th Podium Finishers – Recommended
- Race 5 & 2
- Rule – Recommended
- Race 6 & 3 Rule – Required
NEVER RACED BEFORE Racers –
- Visit the Class Page for an intro to Finding the Right Class
- Onsite: We will help you find you’re Class – Visit the New Racer Booth for some guidance (Consulting & Statistical Analysis) at the race…
- Of course you can email our race directors if you’d like some help before you register online at email@example.com
- Race 1 & 2 – Finish Time Significantly above your Class’ Average
- Measurement – Greater than 1 standard deviation from the Class Mean (That confused us, but fortunately R2D2 kicks out the recommended moves if you are too much ahead of the average time in your race class).
What if we’re wrong? (It’s happened)
- If for any reason you believe you’re being moved into the wrong class you may appeal by completing the OTH Appeal Form telling us your story.
- Submit your petition form at www.raceoc.com/im-not-whining
Our biggest goal is to make you smile, so don’t take your racing as your face value. Your podium position is not who you are, and definitely won’t determine your next raise at work (unless you beat your boss). So push yourself, give yourself a challenge, and go.
This is going to be your best season of bike fun ever.
Matt – if more than 1 standard dev below the mean you should be bumped to the next lower class right🤓
Correct Alan, that is a also correct. Sorry for the delay in writing, somehow missed the notice of your comment.
If the womens class is divided by age (e.g. -44/ +44) can we do the same for the Clydes?
We’ve noticed there are +200 lb racers in beginner, intermediate and other classes that would join one of these new Clydes classes and benefit from the age split.
Asking For a friend, 🙂
Good Question Robert. At this point we’re locked and loaded for 2019. However good food for future conversations. Thank you.
If a rider is the points leader in his group after week 2 does he/she wear the green jersey or is it always the winner of the race from the past week?
If its a points leader and you have a tie does that group have 2 green jersey’s?
Series points leaders for each class. Then you return the jersey end of race and we wash and get them set for the following week.
Hi Jason, I noticed two green jerseys last week in the case of a tie. Good question and it appears the answer is Yes.
What about a 60 beginner class, I’m 63, some of the 50 guys are real fast.