A Few Things To Note
- Over the Hump is a recreational race, based on the guiding principle: HAVE FUN. We run on the honor system, as you choose your class. If the Race Directors determine you are incorrectly classed you will be reassigned to an appropriate class based on your skill level.
- Points are accumulated for the races scored in each specific class. Points are not transferred if you change classes mid-season.
- Your age group is based on your age during the season (example May – Aug 30 or January-March). If your birthday will change your age group mid-season you may choose either of the age groups.
- How do we determine our classes? See FAQ’s Page or Click here to find out if you should move up a class.
- AND YES WE ANALYZE THE DATA to determine our move required and recommended. Here’s How
Did you race last season, and wonder what class to do this year? Click here for Previous Racer Class Guidelines.
All race classes scored Summer Best 6 of 8 races. Winter we score all 3 races.
*Note: 1st Year Racer Categories were introduced Summer 2023. If you Raced “1st Year Racer” your “1st Year Racer” status is good for one year (meaning 1 Summer and 1 Winter season). After the 1st year 1st Year Racers automatically move to Novice.
Cross Country Race Classes
|Class||Ages||Distance (approx)||Laps (approx)|
|1st Year Racer Women -44||44 & under||8||2|
|1st Year Racer Women 45+||45 & over||8||2|
|1st Year Racer Men 29||29 & under||8||2|
|1st Year Racer Men 39||30-39||8||2|
|1st Year Racer Men 49||40-49||8||2|
|1st Year Racer Men 50 (50+)||50+||8||2|
|Men’s Novice 29||29 & under||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Novice 39||30-39||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Novice 49||40-49||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Novice 50+||50 & over||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Novice 44-||12-44||8-10MI||2|
|Women’s Novice 45+||45 & Over||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Elite 1||35 & under||16-20mi||4|
|Men’s Elite 2||36 - 49||16-20mi||4|
|Men’s Elite Masters||50+||12-15mi||3|
|Women’s Elite||All ages||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport 1||35 & under||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport 2||36 - 49||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport Masters||50 & over||12-15mi||3|
|Single Speed||All Ages||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 29||29 & under||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 39||30-39||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 49||40-49||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 50||50 & over||12-15mi||3|
|Clydesdale Open||200 lbs +||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s 60+ (Open)||60 to 64||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s 65 + (Open)||65+||8-10mi||2|
|Boy’s Juniors (Group A)||12 to 15 yrs||8-10mi||2|
|Boy’s Juniors (Group B)||12 to 15 yrs||4-5mi||1|
|Women’s Sport -44||12 to 44 yrs||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Sport +45||45 & over||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Intermediate -44||12 to 44 yrs||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Intermediate +45||45 & over||8-10mi||2-3|
|Intermediate 29||29 and under||8-10mi||2-3|
|Intermediate 50||50 & over||8-10mi||2-3|
|Girl’s Juniors "Group A"||12 to 15 yrs||8-10mi||2|
|Girl’s Juniors "Group B"||12 to 15 yrs||4-5mi||1|
|Kids Boys-9- 11 "Group A"||9-11 yrs||2-4 mi approx|
|Kids Boys 6-8 "Group B"||6-8 yrs||2 mi approx|
|Kids Girls-9- 11 "Group A"||9-11 yrs||2-4 mi approx|
|Kids Girls 6-8 "Group B"||6-8 yrs||2 mi approx|
Winter Dual Slalom Race Classes
|Expert Men||All Ages|
|Sport Men 40+||40 & over|
|Sport Men 19-39||19-39|
|Sport Men 19-39||18 & under|
|Expert Women||All Ages|
|Sport Women||All Ages|
**Course may vary from week to week and mileage and laps posted here may change, but it is a good guideline as you’re selecting the class you’ll be participating in.
Choosing Your Cross-Country Class
New to racing? Not sure what class to race your first race? Here’s a quick guideline.
KID’S RACE – (6-8 & 9-11 yrs) – 5:30pm start. Boys and Girls. *Note – parents, if your child is 11 and you feel they are ready for 2 laps on the main course with the juniors, please talk with us. We will make exceptions, but only if we speak with you first.
JUNIORS CLASS – 11 years to 15 years. “A” Group and “B” Group
Junior “B” Racers are ready to try racing:
- New to racing, or just moving up from Kid’s 9-11 Over the Hump Class – plan to race.
- Not fit enough to finish a beginner lap in approximately 2 minutes.
- Rarely ride or ride less than 30 minutes when they ride.
- Want the experience, but lack the confidence to spend an all out effort for 30-40 minutes.
- Just got a mountain bike and this is their chance to check out a fun, casual place to ride with their buddies.
- Don’t need gears, but might want them.
Junior “A” Racers are ready to push themselves racing:
- Already racing somewhere (High School, Junior High , BMX, and other disciplines, or have tons of riding time in with mom or dad).
- Are competitive and fit. Ready to ride 8 miles at an all-out effort or close each novice lap in approximately 20 minutes or less.
- Have a geared mountain bike (recommended).
- Understand how to pass other racers safely, and practice good sportsmanship as they encounter slower riders.
What are the differences/similarities between Junior “A” / “B” race classes?
- Courses – Girl and Boy “A” racers will typically race two laps or twice the distance of the “B” classes (this is a guide not an unbreakable covenant).
- Juniors race on the Novice/Intermediate Course.
- All 4 Junior Classes will be awarded podium places in each race series. Girls and Boys in “A” and “B” groups will receive end of series points and prizes.
NEW in 2023- Men’s & Women’s 1ST YEAR RACER CLASS– Over the Hump is your race, we actually built it for you. We want to help you have an awesome first year – and anyone can do it. You won’t have to race seasoned racers, because this one is ALL NEW! Everyone is in their 1st year of Over the Hump racing. We’ve got a Racer Info experience for you at every race. Come talk to the ambassadors and find your race pace, find out how many laps, and get the information you need. You don’t need a feather weight bike, lycra, or have to clip into your pedals. Just come have fun, and when you’re done we’ll give you a high five, and talk trail stories. Yes, we still celebrate a podium and award trophies to the 1st Year Racer, but OUR GOAL is to help you have an epic first year experience at Over the Hump….come discover why this community of riders is such an amazing family!
Men’s & Women’s NOVICE CLASS- Recreational riders & racers – You have already raced Over the Hump for a season. You ride, but don’t usually race. or you’ve raced before, but your fitness is down…BUT Over the Hump is your weekly ritual with your homies. Riding your local ride spot, you’re not exhausting yourself at 100% effort every ride, just to get faster. 10 miles is a long ride for you.
INTERMEDIATE The intermediate class is a bridge class between beginner and sport. It was designed for racers with prior race experience (or those of you who have been training your ass off before you pulled the trigger on racing) who know they are a bit too fast to be called a beginner. If you’ve been racing for a while, and cringe when you tell your coworkers that you race BEGINNER, this is for you. It’s designed to be a challenging race class for racers who don’t feel they are ready for 3 laps (Men’s Intermediate is scored on 4 of 6 weeks in two 6 week series).
Novices who move up are: Intermediate racers are qualified by one of three things:
- RACED BEFORE, OR FINISH THE SERIES IN THE TOP 30% IN PREVIOUS SEASONS.
- If you’re “TRAINING TO PODIUM” and YOU ARE NOT a beginner.
- You’ve finished in the top 10% in the past season a couple of races, and were rewarded with the coveted OTH pint glass!
- Your gut (not the size of it) is telling you that Intermediate is the right place for you.
If you answered yes to ANY of these, Intermediate is the correct class for you.
SPORT CLASS – You’ve either raced before, or ride hard when you ride your local spot. If a couple hour ride with a decent amount of climbing makes you cringe, think about racing as a beginner. Sport Class adds approx 4 miles to the Beginner Class, so plan on racing for approximately 11 miles.
SUPER SPORT- A step between the Sport & Expert Classes. We have a lot of fast Sport riders who have considered to moving up, but the step to expert is pretty major. So we’ve created a new class as an intermediary between sport and expert. Super Sport will run 3 laps, and be an Open Age Class. All of you fast sport riders…this is the new class for you.
SINGLE SPEED CLASS – You ride a single speed bike! Women and Men open.
ELITE CLASS – Typically race CAT 2 or CAT 1 at other races. This class is fast with 4 laps for experienced and accomplished racers.
Dual Slalom Classes
Dual slalom is either Expert or Sport. Racers must self select; race reserves the right to reclassify based on qualifying times.
- Women’s Classes are currently “open” age classes. Age breaks will be considered on participation.
- Men’s Classes are scheduled for Under 18 , 19-39, and 40+