NEW 2016 Classes
Did you race last season, and wonder what class to do this year? Click here for Previous Racer Class Guidelines.
This year we have 2 Beginner 6 week series*. The first Series begins May 10 Second Series begins July 19. (scored on 4 races out of 6)
|Class||Ages||Distance (approx)||Laps (approx)|
|Men’s Elite||44 & under||16-20mi||4|
|Men’s Elite Masters||45 & over||16-20mi||4|
|Women’s Elite||All ages||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport 1||35 & under||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport 2||36 - 49||12-15mi||3|
|Super Sport Masters||50 & over||12-15mi||3|
|Single Speed||All Ages||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 29||29 and under||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 39||30-39||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 49||40-49||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s Sport 50||50 & over||12-15mi||3|
|Clydesdale Open||200 lbs +||12-15mi||3|
|Men’s 60+ (Open)||60 & over||8-10mi||2|
|Boy’s Juniors||12 to 15 yrs||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Sport||All ages||8-10mi||2|
|Intermediate 29||29 and under||8-10mi||2|
|Intermediate 50||50 & over||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Beginner 29||29 and under||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Beginner 39||30-39||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Beginner 49||40-49||8-10mi||2|
|Men’s Beginner 50+||50 & over||8-10mi||2|
|Women’s Beginner||All ages||8-10mi||2|
|Girl’s Juniors||12 to 15 yrs||8-10mi||2|
**Course may vary from week to week and mileage and laps posted here may change, but it is a good guideline as you’re selecting the class you’ll be participating in.
Choosing Your Class
New to racing? Not sure what class to race your first race? Here’s a quick guideline.
KID’S RACE- (6-8 & 9-11 yrs)– 5:30pm start – $10 on-site registration only. Boys and Girls. *Note- parents if your child is 11 and you feel they are ready for 2 laps on the main course with the juniors, please talk with us. We will make exceptions, but only if we speak with you first.
JUNIORS CLASS- 11 years to 15 years.
BEGINNERS CLASS- Recreational riders. New racers. You ride, but don’t usually race. Riding your local ride spot, you’re not exhausting yourself at 100% effort every ride, just to get faster. 10 miles is a long ride for you.
INTERMEDIATE The intermediate class is a bridge class between beginner and sport. It was designed for racers with prior race experience (or those of you who have been training your ass off before you pulled the trigger on racing) who know they are a bit too fast to be called a beginner. If you’ve been racing for a while, and cringe when you tell your coworkers that you race BEGINNER, this is for you. It’s designed to be a challenging race class for racers who don’t feel they are ready for 3 laps.
Beginners who move up are: Intermediate racers are qualified by one of three things:
- Been racing Beginner since 2014, 2015 or earlier?
- You have actually been TRAINING, and are gunning for a top 10 finish in beginner.
- You’ve finished in the top 30% in the past season a couple of times, and were rewarded with the coveted OTH pint glass!
- Your gut (not the size of it) is telling you that Intermediate is the right place for you.
If you answered yes to ANY of these, Intermediate is the correct class for you.
SPORT CLASS – You’ve either raced before, or ride hard when you ride your local spot. If a couple hour ride, with a decent amount of climbing makes you cringe, think about racing as a beginner. Sport Class adds approx 4 miles to the Beginner Class, so plan on racing for approximately 11 miles.
SUPER SPORT- A step between the Sport & Expert Classes. We have a lot of fast Sport riders who have considered to moving up, but the step to expert is pretty major. So we’ve created a new class as an intermediary between sport and expert. Super Sport will run 3 laps, and be an Open Age Class. All of you fast sport riders… this is the new class for you.
SINGLE SPEED CLASS – You ride a single speed bike! Women and Men open.
ELITE CLASS – Typically race CAT 2 or CAT 1 at other races. This class is fast with 4 laps for experienced and accomplished racers.
A Few Things To Note
- Over the Hump is a recreational race, based on the guiding principle: HAVE FUN. We run on the honor system, as you choose your class. If the Race Directors determine you are incorrectly classed you will be reassigned to an appropriate class based on your skill level.
- Points are accumulated for the races scored in each specific class. Points are not transferred if you change classes mid-season.
- Your age group is based on your age during the season May -Aug 30. If your birthday will change your age group mid-season you may choose either of the age groups.
- How do we determine our classes? See FAQ’s Page or Click here to find out if you should move up a class.